Wednesday, March 18, 2009

49 days to go...

First off, here is the latest picture of my huge belly (me at 33 weeks). At this point I just feel big in general and don’t really see a lot of change, but I’ve been told it’s gotten noticeably larger in the past couple of weeks.

We had another ultrasound today, and it was mostly likely our last until we meet Chase in person. I was so excited for it because I’ve been dying to know how big he is and if he’s in the right position yet or not. The good news is, he’s head down. The bad news is, that head is quite large! Apparently it’s on the extreme upper end of normal (measuring almost 3 weeks ahead in gestational age), and the doctor even asked who’s side of the family the big head comes from. His legs were long too, but his belly was small, so he seems to be a big headed, long legged, skinny boy right now. Poor little guy…hopefully things will be better proportioned by the time he actually comes out! I’m pretty nervous about the big head thing (mostly for my sake obviously), but I’m sure it will all turn out fine. Overall they estimated his weight to be about 5 pounds, so if he continues to gain the standard ½ pound per week, I’ll end up with an 8.5 pounder by my due date. Since I haven’t even had any Braxton-Hicks contractions or anything, I’m guessing my dream of going two weeks early and having a 6 pound baby is going to remain just that…a dream. But who knows…Chase definitely does things his own way already, so he may just surprise us yet. Case in point: my pregnancy book says he should be sleeping 90 percent of the time right now, but judging by how often his strong (and often painful) kicks distend my belly in funny ways, I’d estimate that he’s actually awake 90 percent of the time! I read something on a pregnancy website that describes exactly how I feel at this point: my body is not my own. Sometimes it’s hard to recognize myself in the mirror because my body looks so different, and I definitely don’t get to control when or if I sleep, eat, or use the restroom! I guess it’s just practice for this little boy being the center of our world from here on out.

5 comments:

Katie said...

So I think you still look small for how far along you are! Very cute little belly! THe big head thing is unfortunate...oh well!

Kristen said...

Seriously you are still so small! I wish I could see your belly in person!

Brooke said...

Cute pictures! Let's hope the big head is just physical and not literal...:-) Just kidding! Hope everything works out okay! You are almost done!!!!

Tanei Atagi said...

You are so cute! I dreamed of a 6 pound baby, too, but I got an 8 pounder. So maybe he'll be 10...can't wait to meet him!

Julie said...

I can't believe how fast time flies! I love the name Chase and I am shocked that he's going to be here so soon! Good luck with everything and can't wait to see pics!