Sunday, August 9, 2009

sleep

So Chase slept 8 hours through the night for the first 4 days of last week, and it was amazing to say the least. Then on Friday night his old familiar sleep patterns returned, and I found myself getting up multiple times in the wee hours of the morning to feed and comfort him. It reminded me of this poem that my sister-in-law gave me, that really helped me during that first month or two of sleeplessness.:)

Help me remember, when I feel it's a chore,
the time will come when he'll cuddle no more.
Asleep on my chest, the crib refused,
the blanket, the pacifier, gone unused.
What better place is there to lay his head,
than against my heart, my arms his bed?
For infants grow up and leave us behind
with only memories left to remind
of midnight waking and predawn rocking,
of soft helpless babies unable to sleep.
So make me patient, and keep me awake,
while I cradle this child, and don't let me take,
for granted the moments I spend in the night
with this baby, a gift, my joy, my delight!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

great poem!!!

Kristen said...

What a great couple of nights! It's hard when they go back to normal though isn't it?

Katie said...

happy to hear you had a few good days...how is the bottle going???