Monday, July 30, 2012

Taylor-18 months

Is my baby really 18 months old? How did that happen! First, the stats: 21 pounds 3 ounces (3rd percentile) and 32.5 inches (58th percentile).  So he IS growing, believe it or not.  He's still wearing 12 month pants (not surprising since Chase is still in 18 month pants!) but he has moved into the 18 month shirts at least.  This kid is a good eater.  He'll eat anything we put in front of him, and he drinks constantly.  He's always walking around with his sippy cup tucked under his arm like a football and when he runs out he either walks over to the water dispenser in the fridge and holds his cup up for help, or gets a new cup out of his drawer and brings it to us.  He is a very messy eater, one of the worst I've ever seen.  Somehow his dinner ends up covering him from head to toe plus a 3 foot radius on the floor, not to mention cracks and crevices on the chairs and table.  The kicker is, he absolutely has to feed himself.  Even if it's a big piece of cheesecake that should really have adult assistance...he won't take a bite unless it's off his own fork.  He does like to clean though, especially vacuum.  He'll turn anything into a vacuum and follow me around the house with it.  He also loves the water.  While Chase was screaming his head off during his swimming lesson, Taylor was diving in on his own.  This kid has no fear, and he's a good climber, so that's a scary combination.  It's like we have instant replay in our house.  Anything that Chase does, Taylor repeats verbatim on a one second delay.  Of course Chase knows this, and takes full advantage sometimes, instructing Taylor to do something he knows is against the rules.;)  It has it's up-side too though.  Taylor started nursery (the kids class at church) two weeks ago and had zero issues, because of course his big brother was there.  I knew I could count on Chase to take good care of him and give me a full report when I pick them up at the end.  Plus, it's a room full of toys and kids, and Taylor is nothing if not social, so what's not to love!  He's a very animated talker and loves to wave and smile, but I don't think any of his words are discernible to the untrained ear just yet.  I think he says Chase, Jesus, shoes, bye-bye, and maybe a few others but you definitely have to hear it in context to understand.  He loves to run around outside and dig in the dirt.  He also thinks it's funny when he bites or hits, which I know is a trademark stage for this age, unfortunately.  Right now he sleeps about 13 hours at night (7pm bedtime), almost never waking up, and usually a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.  He still takes a bottle of milk before bed so I guess that's the one thing we'll have to break him of soon, but I don't think it will be hard.  He is so happy and just lays right down in the crib without a problem.  If he's not ready to sleep, he'll just talk for a while, with maybe a short little cry once in a while.  So amazing, considering how he never slept more than an hour stretch at a time until about 7 or 8 months ago!  He is such a good snuggler, and I love just sitting with him on my lap when he's in the mood to be still, although most of the time he's moving nonstop.  This little boy is such a joy, and although I still haven't forgotten how hard his infancy was, I feel so blessed to have him in our family.


1 comments:

Jason and Crystal Kent said...

Ha! I love it, especially the instant replay. I can't wait to see them in action :)