Monday, October 14, 2013

our sweet boys

I've been furloughed for a week now, which means I've been blessed to spend every day at home with the boys. I absolutely love having so much time with them! Of course they are both very skilled at pulling major attitude with me when they don't get their way, but I'm continually amazed at what wonderful brothers they are to each other. I really could just sit back and listen to them play together for hours, it is so fun. They require very little refereeing.

One of my favorite times of day is their evening bath, when I get to sit and listen to the fun games they come up with. Taylor has a very active imagination and loves to role play. Most of the day he is pretending to be one character or another, and don't even think about getting him to respond to you if you don't call him by his character's name (like Peter Pan, or the Hulk, of Daddy, or Phineas, or "baby", etc). He acts things out in great detail, explaining his little world to us as he goes, and it is very entertaining.

Chase comes up with all sorts of games and then instructs Taylor on what he needs to do. He might sound a little bossy to my ears, but Taylor loves to follow along.  He is such a good big brother. He likes to be the one to put Taylor down for naptime: he helps him pick out a pull-up, rocks him in the rocking chair while singing Rock A Bye Baby, and then tucks him in and kisses his forehead...it's beyond sweet. The other day Taylor decided to get ready for a nap on his own, so he went in and rocked in the chair by himself, singing that song to himself as well! I was in the other room listening and laughing:) Chase is also always teaching Taylor about the things he learns or knows, in a very matter-of-fact, but motherly tone, and Taylor is very accepting of these teaching moments. They were watching a cartoon the other day that asked "who is your best friend?" and Chase immediately said Taylor, and it could not be more true. And seeing them be so close could not make me happier, I pray that they will always look out for each other in the way that they do now, what a blessing that would be.

I also love how much they enjoy singing. Songs will come on the radio that I don't even think they know, and there they are in the backseat, singing along. It cracks me up.  They have so much energy, and think everything is so much fun. Just heading to the park gets them so excited, and I love to be able to take advantage of the beautiful Fall weather to do that right now, without feeling so rushed. I've realized recently that too often I rush them when I don't really need to, and I want to make more of an effort to let them be kids as much as possible. There's always so much to get done, but when they have the time to just play, we are all the happiest, and I get to see their bright, innocent minds work. I don't know how many more days I will get until it's back to work for me, but I'm grateful for the time I have, to turn our moments into memories.

2 comments:

The Hunzikers said...

What sweet, sweet boys!!! Don't you wish they didn't grow so fast? I think my girls would adore your little guys.

Jonathon and Gwynevere said...

Awesome post!